Working with Photos
In This Article
- Uploading Member Photos
- Uploading multiple photos at one time
- Asking Members to Submit a Photo
- Approving Photos Uploaded by Members
- Frequently Asked Questions
Uploading Member Photos
Each family in the directory can have one image associated with their family. You upload the photos under the Edit Family dialogue by clicking the Import Image button.
Choose the file to upload. Once it uploads, you can crop the image. Then his Save.
Below are the exact dimensions/proportions of the photos used in Instant Church Directory. The final photo dimensions used in the directory vary depending on the section where the photo is located. These sizes can help guide you to what orientation and size you use when uploading a member photo so no one gets cut off in the directory.
• Cover: 6.75" wide x 8" high (2025 pixels wide x 2400 pixels)
• Family Page photos: 2.0625" wide x 1.8125" high (618 pixels wide x 543 pixels)
• Pastor Page photo: 1.8125" wide x 2.0625" high (543 pixels wide x 618 pixels)
• Staff Page photos: 1.8125" wide x 2.0625" high (543 pixels wide x 618 pixels)
• Activity Page photos: 3.625" wide x 2.75" high (1087 pixels wide x 825 pixels)
All photos should be set to the highest quality print (the above pixels are for 300 dpi photos). Photo color palette should be sRGB (not RGB).
Uploading multiple photos at one time
Go to Families and click on the Add Multiple Images tool.
Then you'll see on Step 1 - Choose Images. Click the Choose Files button and select the images from your computer to upload.
You'll complete the upload under Step 2. Once all the photos are in the queue, click the Upload Photos button to complete the upload process.
Once the photos are uploaded, you'll see a "Done" confirmation. Then click Step 3 link.
When you click on Step 3 - Attach Names/Attach Family, a page will open that shows all the images you just uploaded. You have the choice to match them to an existing family or Create a new family.
Asking Members to Submit a Photo
Members can submit a photo by following a link that you provide them. The link can be found underneath each individual family’s information on the Families Tab. You can either copy and paste the email message including the link by selecting “Request A Photo Message” or, if you have it linked directly to your email, you can select “Request Photo via Email’. When the members click on the link, they are taken to a page where it is simple for them to browse their photos, upload, and submit it to you. It usually takes less than 5 minutes.
Or, your members can Submit Their Own Updates to the Directory including photos!
How to invite a family to submit a photo
You'll review how to use the email feature or the copy to clipboard feature to request a photo as well as how to attach a photo submitted by a member to the correct family in the directory.
Please keep in mind the Broadcast news feature mentioned in this video is not available to admins or editors during the Free Trial Period.
Approving Photos Uploaded by Members
When reviewing the photos that have been submitted, you can choose to assign them to a family and save them in the directory or you can choose to delete them. If you do not choose to save or delete, the picture will remain "in review" until you choose one of the options. Photos will not show in the directory until you choose "Save." You will see notifications that you still have photos ready for review on all the page views.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more specifics on sizes, please see above.
Adding white-space to a photo
- Open the photo.
- Highlight the entire photo using "Edit" > "Select All" (or Ctrl+A).
- Use "Edit" > "Copy" (or Ctrl+C) to copy the selected area.
- Delete the selected area, so the entire picture is a white background.
- Use "Image" > "Attributes" (or Ctrl+E) to enlarge the background. Keep the width the same, but change the height to be equal to the width. For example, if the photo is 3" wide x 2" high, make it 3" x 3". (You may need to experiment with the dimensions, depending on the photo.)
- Use "Edit" > "Paste" (or Ctrl+V) to paste the copied photo into the enlarged area.
- While it's still highlighted move the photo to the bottom of the frame.
- Use "File" > "Save As" to save the edited photo with a new name, so it doesn't overwrite the original.